Dark Blue Background
Registration & Attendance » FAQ's


If your questions are not answered below, please contact Belva Belton at (803) 635-7147

  1. When must my child begin school in Fairfield County?  In South Carolina, children aged 5 thru 17 must go to school.  This may be a public school, private school, or home school. Parents may choose to keep their 5 year old out of kindergarten; if you decide to do so, you must sign a form stating that you are waiving the right for your child to attend kindergarten.  Fairfield County offers a full day child development program for ages three and four. Open enrollment for Child Development is usually held during the month of February at your area's elementary school. If students are not enrolled during this time frame, you must enroll at the District Office.
  2. Where do I go to enroll my child in school? All new student enrollments are processed and approved at the District Office.
  3. What do I need to take with me to enroll my child?  Parents will need to provide a birth certificate, immunization record, and two items of proof of residency (showing the physical address of your home).
  4. Can I be punished if I do not enroll my child in school? Yes. The law says that parents or legal guardians must send their children to school. If the school district does not have records to show  that your child is enrolled in school or regularly attending school, you will be ordered to appear in Family Court, where you may be made to pay a fine or even sent to jail for up to 30 days.
  5. My child has been sick and needs to miss school. What should I do? Always let the school know what is going on when your child misses school. The law states that a student may miss up to ten days a year for certain lawful reasons. These include serious illness, illness or death in the immediate family, a religious holiday, or other reason that have been pre-approved by the administration.  Always send written excuses to the school. High school students who miss excessive days may lose credit for their courses.
  6. My child has been suspended from school. What does that mean? Suspension is a short time away from class or school. It lasts no longer than 10 days for one offense and no more that 30 days for the entire year.  By law, the school must give you notice of what offense your child has committed within 3 days. If the school decides to suspend your child, you can appeal the decision to the superintendent and Board of Trustees.
  7. What is expulsion? Expulsion is when your child is sent home for the rest of the school year and cannot return.  This punishment is given only after a hearing by the school district's Hearing Officer. Your child will be allowed to return to school in the fall of the next school year unless he or she is expelled for bringing a gun to school.  Then, he or she can be expelled for a full calendar year. You must apply for readmission for the following school year.
  8. My child receives free lunch. Am I required to pay school fees? The law states that if your child receives free lunch, you may request that school fees be waived.  If he receives reduced lunch, he is eligible for reduced fees. This does not apply to lost or damaged books or other school district property.